A Financial Literacy, Management & Well-Being Resource
The COMPASS Academy resources are available to anyone, including ministers and lay persons not currently participating in the COMPASS Journey. They are intended to inform and empower ministers and lay leaders in biblical financial leadership, stewardship, and well-being.
This collection of resources is organized into six general categories: Personal Budgeting & Debt Management, Retirement Readiness, Training for Biblical Stewardship, Communicating Finances as a Leader, Local Church Finances, and a Glossary of Financial Terms. Each category is also organized into relevant topics.
This page highlights four featured resources in each category.
Click on the category title for even more resources.
- A free app that helps you manage your finances with budgeting and expense tracking. Mint links to your bank and credit card accounts so you see exactly what is happening with your money.
- A biblically based course in basic personal finances
- A step by step how-to and multiple articles by Dave Ramsey about the fundamentals of budgeting
- Online tools for comparing repayment options for your student loans using your own data
- See how $2,000 now can be worth more than $12,000 later
- What you need to know about making catch-up contributions to your 403(b) retirement savings account
- The issues of retirement that you need to consider
- How to access the funds in your Single Defined Benefits Plan/Basic Pension Plan (funds saved prior to 1996)
- Resources available from Generous Church: Training videos, sermon illustrations, epapers, articles
- Sermons, bulletin inserts, PowerPoint slides, letters, and Bible lessons for a monthlong church-wide stewardship emphasis
- A 40-day devotional and churchwide stewardship campaign available in more than 50 languages
- A variety of resources including curriculum, videos, articles, preaching/teaching materials, and Excel worksheets
- Stewardship Ministries' free stewardship toolkit that explores gaining and saving all we can in order to live more generously.
- Dave Ramsey's churchwide stewardship movement
- Brian Kluth's ebook for pastors and church leaders
- Video driven training on eight principles for preaching on money, stewardship and generosity
- An ECFA webinar-on-demand with Rollie Dimos, a certified fraud examiner and certified internal auditor, helping churches reduce the risk of fraud and increase financial accountability.
- The form that EVERY church board needs to fill out in order to contribute to the pastor's 403(b) retirement account
- A P&B video with everything you need to consider in structuring your pastor's compensation package
- P&B Memo #11 - Auto and Other Business Expense Reimbursements
- A designated portion of a pastor’s salary (officially designated in advance of payment) for the amount actually used to provide or rent a home not to exceed the fair market rental value of the home (including furnishings, utilities, garage, etc.).
- An independent examination of an organization’s records and accounts to make sure that they show a fair, accurate and legal reflection of the financial position of the company at the accounting date. Audits can be either internal or external.
- A plan of spending over a certain length of time, based on how much income a person(s) or organization anticipates having.
- Theft or misappropriation of funds placed in one's trust or belonging to one's employer.